Electrical Power Utility (T&D) Drafter
Charlotte, NC 28201 US
One of the nation’s top engineering, construction, and consulting firms, is expanding resources. We have exciting new opportunities for experienced and motivated industry professionals in the Charlotte, NC area in our Transmission and Distribution (T&D) Group for an Electrical Drafting Technician. The Drafting Technician will report to the Substation & Design Technology Department Manager in Charlotte, NC and work closely with the Charlotte, NC and Atlanta, GA Engineering teams to provide technical drafting support for assigned Substation projects. This role requires the ability to support multiple projects and to prioritize work assignments. This position will be responsible for an array of challenging assignments including the drafting of engineering deliverables on multiple complex utility projects alongside engineering staff.
The Drafting Technician position will require strong interpersonal, communication and time management skills, as well as demonstrate the ability to function in a team environment. Responsibilities include revising existing drawings and preparing drawings of basic components from explicit verbal or written instructions or detailed sketches. This position successfully plots drawings; learns and follows company and client drafting standards and procedures; learns the practices of a selected discipline (electrical). Other duties as assigned. This exciting opportunity will provide for continued professional growth as a part of our established mentorship programs.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Apply client standards to drafting activities.
- Work with vector and raster drawing files in drafting programs, primarily AutoCAD and MicroStation.
- Maintain current knowledge of design and drafting procedures.
- Review all work for completeness and accuracy prior to submitting for engineering review.
- Provide an accurate accounting of time spent on projects.
The duties described above are the general nature and level of work to be performed, but is not intended to be a complete comprehensive list of all the duties, activities, and responsibilities required for the position. Supervisors or managers may ask job incumbents to perform other duties as needed and/or required.
- High School Diploma/GED and course work in drafting technology Required or - specialized CAD certification Required - Excellent verbal and written communication skills. - Strong problem solving and analytical skills. - Basic knowledge and experience in Microsoft Office programs, including, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. - Demonstrated leadership skills. - Self-motivated and eager learner, aptitude to grow and develop within the field. - Candidates must be legally authorized to work permanently (i.e. without time limitations, without restrictions or without need for work sponsorship) in the country where this position is located. EEO/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans
- High school diploma and course work in drafting technology or specialized CAD certification.
- Associate's degree in computer aided drafting and design desirable
- Entry-level position (zero to five years of professional drafting experience).
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Previous internship and/or related consulting experience preferred.
- Mastered basic commands of AutoCAD and preferably also MicroStation (ability to occasionally use higher-level commands, timesaving programs, and routines).
- Highly-motivated and possess a strong attention to detail.
- Possesses strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects with clear expectations and timelines, and to prioritize work.
- Ability to take direction from and work collaboratively with individuals at all levels in the organization in a team environment.